Landing Clients from Start to Finish - Part One

Recently I've been scouring around for blogs and there are a whole load out there about how to become successful on UpWork. A lot of them are properly inspirational and tell you all about how the author earns 40k a year freelancing now, yadda yadda yadda.

As inspiring as those blogs are, I realised that they're kind of all tell and no show, right? So I thought it would be handy to write a real life example of the step-by-step process I've used to land a client.

how to get clients on upwork


Hopefully showing you how I do it is a better idea than just preaching general rules. Honestly I'm a few Heineken's in so you'll have to decide for yourself. Let's analyse my application step-by-step:

Part One - Applying for the Job

So obviously the whole point of this post is showing how to land clients on UpWork. But I'm going to add a second half which will focus on interacting with clients and how I actually produce them copy as well.

The Job Description

I've included a scrot (screenshot) of the job description here. I posted a blog earlier about finding the right clients - whilst this one didn't necessarily tick every box for me, bear this in mind:
  • They've listed intermediate level. A lot of jobs which list beginner level are basically screaming "I'll give you good feedback in return for doing loads of work for next to no money." It's not set in stone but beginner level tends to be code for expecting slave labour.
  • They have no feedback or posted jobs yet. As I wrote in this blog, finding clients who are hiring a freelancer for the first time can be an advantage. With a bit of luck you've stumbled on a small independent business / entrepreneur who don't have the time / skills to do what they're asking of you - but will value you as a freelancer.

  • They're looking for long-term collab. Good for freelancers like me, and definitely worth mentioning when you apply.
  • They've written a job application which is detailed enough that I know what I'm getting into. Although I'd still want to find out a bit more from this client, I can reference the links and see whether I have the capacity to write for them. It gives you an idea of how long it will take, and whether you can nail the style they want.

The Cover Letter

Opinion is split between UpWorkers as to whether you should use a template to apply. As a rule of thumb, copy-and-pasting an application to every job isn't going to get you anywhere.

That being said, I have a template which I use - I just personalize it heavily for each application. I've written another blog about writing a job proposal on UpWork which I hope is worth a read. In the mean time, I'm going to share the one I scored this job with anyway:

getting clients on upwork


A few notes on why I think this cover letter in particular was successful:
  • Usually I'd look for the name of the client (find out how to here) and address it to them personally. If that wasn't possible I'd go for "Dear Potential Client" - but by referring to the job post title and making a joke out of it in this case I've made it personal,
  • Almost straight off the bat I've written two points which relate to this particular job posting - so the client knows I've read it and already has two reasons to hire me.
  • I've also mentioned fairly on that I've written on similar topics. From my two bullet points, the client knows I'm enthusiastic about their proposal specifically. Now she also knows I'm experienced enough to deliver.
  • The rest of the proposal is actually just template. I try to show that I'm versatile, know what I'm talking about when I write, qualified and reliable.

The Questions

If, like me, you've used a template for your cover - or indeed, written a fairly detailed cover letter - you'll probably find that you're repeating yourself a little bit if the client has added questions to the proposal.

I think taking the time to reiterate key points in detail in the proposal questions can set you apart from other candidates even if you've nailed the cover letter. Even with a cracking application, single sentence answers to a clients questions can give the vibe that you can't be assed.



These are just two of about five questions which were attached to the job application. Don't wanna bore you guys with the lot!!

You should always be able to think up a few questions for the client - it shows engagement and pro-activity, as well as being a place for you to drop in other skills. For example, The fact that I'm talking about WordPress (which I'm no expert in, by the way) makes me seem like I know what I'm on about - right?

Anyway, that's my successful application broken down. In part two of this one I'm going to go over the resulting messages (having won the contract, amidst at least 15 competitors) and hopefully give an excerpt from the published blog. Or at least a few paragraphs.

Right now though, the Gin House in Ho Chi Minh City are both playing Johnny Cash and closing up, so I've gotta pay my tab and get out of here man. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Johnno, it's just weird cause I'm the last one here. You know how it is.

UPDATE: You can now access Part Two here!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What we can all Learn from Danny Margulies

Get Approved on UpWork - Creating A Perfect Profile

In the Beginning