Working for Less Than You're Worth

Getting started on UpWork is a bit of a conundrum, right? You wanna smash out work but it's kinda hard with no feedback and you want to get feedback but that's kinda hard when you haven't done any work.

Unless you have some mad skills in a niche I haven't heard of and a decent portfolio behind you to prove it, this probably means you're going to end up working for less than your time is worth.

getting started on upwork


Admittedly this seems like a bit of a wonk job and yours truly has fallen prey to not applying to as many jobs as he should have because they don't pay enough.

That said, I recently had this exchange with a client:


In the end I banged this blog out anyway - to be honest, it didn't take that long but was still a bit 'below me' in terms of earnings over time. Plus digital marketing isn't really my jive.

However the moral of the story is that when you're getting started on UpWork, you've pretty much got to take what you can get to build feedback, right? 

I guess I'm trying to be open-minded about getting some one-off jobs that don't quite pay enough in the short term, so that I can cherry pick the ones that will pay well in the long term.

A n y w a y

It's been a long rainy day of freelancing for me but it's clearing up. Time for a beer, ladies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What we can all Learn from Danny Margulies

Funding your Travels by Freelancing Abroad - My Experience

Get Approved on UpWork - Creating A Perfect Profile