Attaching Samples of Your Work



Today's morsel of wisdom comes from a blog I read by Danny Margulies about attaching relevant writing samples to your application. Nearly all job descriptions for copy-writers and bloggers ask to include relevant samples - previously my tactic has been to include a few lines like this in my application:

"I have attached some blog posts that I have recently created, as I believe that everyone has a unique writing style and I want you to see mine! 
 As you can see, I've written in a number of niches, from business and digital marketing to travel and interior design. I am more than happy researching any topics you might desire."
Before including as many examples of high quality blog posts that I've already put out for previous clients, like so:


In hindsight, this is probably not the most effective way to score interviews, for a few reasons. One is that there is no way they are going to read all of them. They are kinda long I guess - big waste of time. Two is that unless you're applying for writing job that necessitates covering a load of different topics, at least a few are likely to be irrelevant. Like the one I wrote about walk-in showers. Fair.

So the tactic I read recently is as follows - instead of attaching loads of samples, stick to one which is fine-tuned to your proposal. As the client isn't likely to read a thousand word sample, bang out something that is relevant - not so relevant they can just use it straight away obviously - and short, so they can digest it at once.

Whilst I think including just one sample of 200 words is kind of ballsy, and would maybe go for two or three short ones, this seems pretty sensible. Going to give it a shot when I get more connects - not today though because I've just finished a few contracts and it's too sunny outside to sit here thinking about this nonsense.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What we can all Learn from Danny Margulies

Funding your Travels by Freelancing Abroad - My Experience

Finding the Right Clients